Quincy Car Accident Leaves Car Wrapped Around a Tree
A near-tragic car accident in Quincy, Massachusetts a few months ago involving three vehicles highlighted the need for an experienced car accident lawyer to get you the compensation you deserve. The accident occurred on Willard Street around 8:15 p.m., which according to residents is a dangerous stretch of roadway with a high volume of traffic.
Police reported that one vehicle was wrapped around a tree, requiring first responders to remove a door to extricate the driver who suffered serious but not life-threatening injuries. Two other motorists were taken to the hospital with less severe injuries.
Cause of the Accident
Police did not report what caused the accident, though speed was suspected given the extent of the damage to the vehicles. If police are unable to ascertain the cause or who was at fault from witness statements, then accident reconstruction experts may be used. If not, then any of the injured parties can retain a car accident lawyer who may employ experts to determine fault
Generally, reconstruction experts will review and compare the involved parties’ statements, and the accident collision report to determine where the vehicles came to rest, the location of the property damage to each vehicle, and any other observations from police. In some urban and suburban areas, street poles have surveillance cameras that may have recorded the accident. Even though footage is grainy, experts can analyze the video to determine the location, direction, speed of the vehicles, and possible evasive measures taken by the drivers.
Many newer car models have an EDR or event data recorder that can provide information about forward and lateral crash force, vehicle speed, airbag deployment, engine RPM, brake applications, steering data, and front seat positions. Obtaining data from such devices requires an expert and can be expensive.
What to Do If in a Car Accident
If you suffered an injury in a car accident, there are still things you can do to preserve your claim for compensation. We offer the following suggestions that can support your claim and assist your car accident lawyer to get you the most compensation for your injury:
- Call 911 immediately. Even if you are just dazed or do not notice any visible injuries, a head injury that is left untreated can become serious.
- Wait for police and EMTs to arrive. If you are able to do so, exchange information with the other driver(s) regarding license, registration and insurance. If your injury is serious or you suffered a broken limb, wait for police to get the information.
- Do not talk to anyone at the scene other than police. Anything you say about the accident or possible injuries can be misconstrued and held against you. For instance, if you tell the other party that you never saw him, that could be interpreted as your failing to exercise proper caution. Should you respond to someone by saying you’re okay, an insurance adjuster will take that to mean you suffered no injuries but are asserting them now once you realized you could obtain compensation.
- Take photographs with your cellphone camera of the damage to all involved vehicles, street signs, roadway, objects in the road including debris and skidmarks, the other parties and passengers, and any visible injuries that you sustained.
- When talking to police at the scene, do not exaggerate or speculate. If you do not know or cannot recall speeds, times or distances, then tell the officer that you cannot recall or are too shaken up. Be sure to mention all of your injuries including headache, nausea, dizziness, or pain in any part of your body.
- Do not refuse medical attention at the scene or say you will seek attention on your own. Your refusal means that you suffered either no injury or a minor one.
- Do not give an oral or written statement to any investigators or insurance adjusters who may call you that day or soon after the accident. Let them know you will be retaining an attorney.
- Follow up with your own doctor as soon as possible.
- Call car accident lawyers Burns & Jain
Although these may seem like commonsense suggestions, many injury claimants jeopardize their claims by saying things that cannot be verified, that implicate them as responsible for the accident or comparatively at fault, that minimize their injuries, or suggest that their alleged injuries were from some other cause.
Damages in Car Accident Claims
Damages in any injury claim vary and depend on the nature and extent of the injuries, if you were employed, and how your injuries have affected your life. Typical injuries include:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Past and future income loss
- Loss of earning capacity
- Emotional or psychological harm, e.g., PTSD
- Permanent disfigurement
- Permanent disability
- Pain and suffering
- Diminished quality of life
- Spousal claim for loss of consortium
Retain the Law Firm of Burns & Jain
Having a skilled and knowledgeable car accident lawyer handling your injury claim at the earliest possible time can often mean the difference between obtaining full compensation for your injury or having to settle for much less. Call Burns and Jain at (617) 221-7971 for a free consultation and for the best opportunity to get the most compensation for your accident injury.